Fundamentals and terminology of fixed prosthodontics (bridges)
What is prosthodontics?
- the branch of dentistry concerned with the replacement of missing teeth
- this can be achieved by prostheses (false teeth) which are either removable (dentures) or fixed (bridges)
Definition of a bridge
- a dental restoration (fixed prostheses) which replaces missing teeth which normally cannot be removed by the patient (as opposed to a denture which can be removed)
- bridges normally only replace teeth unlike removable dentures which replace teeth and gum
What are bridges made of?
- usually precious metals covered with ceramic (terms such as metal-ceramic, porcelain fused to mental and porcelain bonded to metal are used)
- maybe all gold (soft metal which is metal and slightly malleable) or all ceramic…