- DURKHEIM 'a unified system of belifs and practies related to scared things, that it to say things set apart and forbidden'
- 1. Society is made up of the Scared and Profane.
- Scared: Symbolic and Representative
- Profane: Everyday reality - mundane
- The siginfgance of the objects : they must symbolise something. (Totems)
- 2. Aboriginal Society - put themselves into clans
- Each clan has a Totem which they worship
- The Totem represents society and God - therefore Durkheim found that these clans worshping the totems- which reprsent society and God- the society has become the key object in religious worship
- Why use a totem? - easy to direct respecct towards a symbol which worships the clan, rather than respecting the clan itself.
- 3. Collective Conscience- shared vaules and belifs are nessacary for society to function properly and these shared vaules and beliefs make up the collective conscience helping to hold society together.
- Two ways of defining religion:
- Functional definition- Focus on the functions that reilgion provides to society and to…