- Created by: BenjaminMullins
- Created on: 11-05-15 13:01
- Parsons (functionalist) sees that there is a 'functional fit' between the nuclear family and modern society. A nuclear family is both geographically and socially mobile and therefore meet the needs of society.
- Parsons also sees the nuclear family performing two functions - the socialisation of children and the stabalisation of adult personalities.
- As the nuclear family is the best, other family types are seen as abnormal.
New right view
- They are conservative/anti-feminist
- They are opposed to family diversity
- There is only one correct family type - the traditional nuclear family
- The nuclear family is natural and based on biological defferences between men and women
- The decline of the traditional nuclear family and the growth of family diversity…