- Perspective more than a theory, which sees society as existing externally to individuals
Functionalism: An introduction
- The oldest 'school' in sociology
- Looking towards biology and the body as a metaphor for society
- Different social institutions as organs
- Altenatively, social institutions as part of a machine
- All parts create the function of the structure
- "Structural Functionalism"
- Auguste Comte (17-98-1857)
- Emile Durkhiem (1858-1917)
- Talcott Parsons (1902-1979)
Functionalist Views of Education
What function does education play in society?
- Passing on society's culture/creating social cohesion