Gothic and religion
- "wondrous power that attracts the needle"
- "surrounded by ice" "vast irregular plains of ice" "shut in... by ice"
- "the fall of a leaf startled me, and i shunned my fellow creatures as if i had been guilty of a crime"
- "i considered the being which i had cast upon mankind... nearly in the light of my own vampire, my own spirit let loose from the grave"
- "i desire the company of a man who can sympathise with me" (traditionaly gothic novels have multiple narrators"
- "the raising of ghosts or devils..."
- "have aquired new and unlimited powers... can command the thunders of heaven... even mock the invisible world" this is an omen from Waldon, F's teacher at uni, an omen is a gothic thing. Also notice the mimilarities with 'walton' and 'waldon'.
- "my eyeballs were starting from their sockets... often did my human nature turn with loathing"
- omen again: "one by one her brothers and sisters died; and her mother... she began to think…
Similar English Literature resources: