- Retribution (punishment)
- Detterence (prevent the individual from commiting crime again and perevnt others from commiting the same crime) there is a 70% recidivism rate for criminals who have recived custodial sentencing suggetsing it is not succesfuk for individual detterence
- Rehabilition (cure the offender of what ever caused them to commit the crime e.g drugs)
- Protection of society
effectiveness of custodial sentencing
- For many inprisonment can be brutal, demeaning and devastating
- psychological effects are heard to generalise due to variation in prison regimes and differant coping strategies.
- there is a lackof longditudional studies in this area
- Bukshel and kilmann found that symtoms such as resrlessness and anxiety and sleepllessness tended to occur at the begining but then adjustments were made to prison life.
Aim - to investigate the situational causes of negative behaviour in a prison setting.
Method - A mock prison was built for 2 weeks and 20 male participants were allocated as guards or prisoners.
The participants knew some of their human rights would be violated, the prisoners remained inthe prison for 24 hours and day and followed a strict regime. The guards were givenno specific instructions…