This is a extract from the play, 'the importance of being earnest' by oscar wilde.
- The play was written by Oscar Wilde in the vicrotian times in 1895.
- Wilde was known for his disapproving views on the social conventions and victorian etiquette of the time and this is reflected in many of his works.
- Although married he had a homosexual relationship with another man and was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment and hard labour.
Text 20- 'the importance of being earnest'
- This extract is taken at a time in the play where 2 characters, Cecily and Gwendolen are having a conversation that soon turned into a heated argument.
- They begin be speaking kindly and formally to each other and engaging in polite conversation or 'phatic talk'. "Are there…