- respiration is a chemical reaction which happens in every cell of every plant and animal
- respiration is when food (sugars) react with oxygen to release energy
- the reaction produces carbon dioxide and water
- the bloodstream transports glucose and oxygen to cells
- ]respiration is NOT BREATHING - it is turning foos into energy
GLUCOSE + OXYGEN CARBON DIOXIDE + WATER + ENERGY
- photosynthesis is a chemical process which takes place in every green plant
- photosynthesis produces food in the form of glucose
- it happens in all green parts of plant but mainly in leaves
CARBON DIOXIDE + WATER (WITH SUNLIGHT + CHLOROPHYLL ON ARROW) GLUCOSE + OXYGEN This is basically respiration backwards
Adaptations of a Leaf
Veins - transport and carry water. Keeps leaf's structure
Stomata - small holes on underside of leaf for exchange of gas
Chloroplasts - contains chlorophyll which captures sinlight for photosynthesis
Large Surface Area - can absorb as much sunlight as possible
Leaf Cells (Cross Section)
How does water enter a plant:
Water is one of the raw materials needed to carry out photosynthesis. Water from the soil enters a plant from the roots.
How are roots adapted:
Roots are branched and spread out to absorb water and mineral salts and to anchor the plant in soil. Roots are covered in root hair cells. Root hair cells have thin walls and a large surface area to absorb lots of water.
Why do plants need water:
Water is needed to provide dissolved minerals that keep the plant healthy, ti transport substances around the plant, to keep the plant rigid and upright, to keeo the plant cool and to allow chemical reactions to occur.
What is transpiration:
Transpiration is the movement of water up…