- Created by: Nori
- Created on: 10-06-14 09:17
Sodium ions (Na+) have a yellow/orange flame.
Potassium ions (K+) have a lilac flame.
Calcium ions (Ca2+) have a red flame.
Copper ions (Cu2+) have a blue-green flame.
- Clean a wire loop by dipping it in hydrochloric acid and rinsing with distilled water.
- Dip the clean wire loop into a sample (of a compound or a pure element).
- Put the wire loop in the clear, blue part of the Bunsen flame.
- The flame will be one of the colours above, depending on which element it contains.
Flame tests can be used with both solids and solutions. When using a powdered solid, dip the wire loop into the HCl again to moisten it before dipping it into the solid, so that it…