- Highlly critical of the family as it has harmful effects for women and responsible for patriarchy
- Reject functionalist idea that nuclear family is ideal as it restricts women's choices.
- 4 broad types of feminism which have different views on what changes are needed to improve women's position.
- Children learn via gender role socialisation - traditional distribution of power generally favours males - boys learn to be breadwinners and heads of the household, girls learn to subordinate their lives to childcare and housework.
- Ann Oakley - from early age - trained to conform to social expectations of gender. Two processes central to hegemonic masculinity and hegemonic femininity.
- Manipulation - parents encourage or discourage behaviours.
- Canalisation - parents channel children's intrestes into gender appropriate toys.
- These involve gender codes which result in conformity: Colour, dress, appearance, toy, play, etiquette, family media, speech, domestic, control.
- Optimistic view of current prospects for women - progress has been made over time and family roles have become more equal.
- Somerville - women have more choice about marriage, paid work when married, and whether…