Extreme left and right
- left and right are vague terms
- The extremes of each side hate each other
- Defferent support basis
- Growth of one affects the other
Origins of the terms
- French revolution
- King toppled - change in society
- GIRONDIN - sat on the right hand side of parliament.
- Want to keep the king
- Preserve the wealth of the people
- Neogaitate with European wars.
- Jacobins- sit on left hand side of parliament.
- Want to kill the king
- Confiscate the people's wealth
- Destroy France's enemies
Left= radical change ... Right= oppose it!!!
- - Defined for the working class
- - Called "the people"
- - comes to power through revolution
- - War was a bad thing, as it was irrelevant to workers
Distinguishing the groups
- "National pride" at the centre of their focus...
- Speak by saying "the nation" where as the lefts say "the people"
- Supported by the rich, as rich scared of communism.
- Think that wars a great thing as it shows superiority
- They had one charasmatic leader.
Significance of the terms
- Massively important after world war 1.
- Russian revolution 1917
- - (Working class in Russia is very small)
- If a revolution can happen there then it can happen any where.
- Thus proves that revolution can happen
- Inspires many on the left
- Potentially massive support base for the right
- Dissillusioned soldiers
- People scared by communism
- These people (right wing) will then use the soldiers
- Italy ripe for both
- Humiliation of post war treaties
- Economic unrest
- Weak existing govt
- - number of ideoligies spread through Europe
Similar History resources: