- consists of a mother father and dependent children
- most people at some point in their lives will be part of a nuclear family.
- consists of 3 generations
- strongest in working class families
- in 1993 Finch and Mason found that 90% of those researched had given or recieved financial help from their extended family and that women were more actively involved with the extended family.
- is like a nuclear family with one or two children who maintain regular contact with their grand-parents
- as the family shrinks, grandparents…