- Created by: skyblue97
- Created on: 17-04-14 14:55
FAMILY DIVERSITY refers to all different family types.
The Rapoports think that family diversity is central to family life today. They identify 5 different types of family diversity:
1. Organisational diversity - families can be organised differently - e.g. joint conjugal roles or segregated conjugal roles.
2. Cultural diversity - e.g. more single parents in the Afro-Carribean community.
3. Social class diversity - e.g. differences in family structure and child-rearing.
4. Life-stage diversity - family structures differ according to the stage reached in the life cycle e.g. newlyweds, couples with children, widows etc.
5. Generational diversity
POSTMODERNITY AND THE LIFE COURSE
In the modern world families lived in similar types - usually nuclear - married couples and children. In a post modern society there is much more diversity…