Explanations of attachment: Learning Theory
- An emotional bond between two people
- A two-way process that endures over time
- It serves the function of protecting the infant
- It leads to certain behaviours:
_distress on separation
-pleasure on reunion
_General orientation of behaviour
Primary attachment firgure
The person who has formed the cloesest bond with the child, demonstrated by the intensity of the relationship.
Classical condition (behaviourisist)
- Ivan Pavlov (1977)
- Learning through association
- We learn by associating a perticula stimulous with a particular response.
-stimulus: an event which causes a response
-response: a reaction made because the stimulus has been detected.
Food (UCS) -------> Pleasure (UCR)
Mum (NS) ---------> No response (UCR)
Food+mum (UCS+NS) ------->Pleasure (UCR)
Mum (CS) ----------> Pleasure (CR)
The principals of Classical Conditoning can be used to explain attachement. Food (UCS) naturally produces a sense of pleasure (UCR). The person who feeds the infant (NS) becomes associated with the food. The feeder eventually produces pleasure associated with the food, pleasure becomes a conditioned response…