The Events, 1569-70
- At court an anti-Cecil faction devised a plan to marry Mary to the Duke of Norfolk, they thought this would force Mary to name Mary as her heir and force Cecil out.
- The scheme was supported by the two Earls of Northumberland and Westmorland (Catholics) they believed this would bring a catholic succession
- They had been in touch with Rome and Spain for military help to further the marriage.
- The queen disapproved of the marriage plans and Norfolk spent a brief spell in the tower as his punishment.
- Elizabeth summoned the two earls to court however instead of going to court they returned North and raised their followers into rebellion.
- The Earls marched on Durham and on…