PARA 1, METHOD NO.1: CASE STUDIES
- CASE STUDIES= focuses on the individual, this is known as the idiographhic approach
- idiographic approach-emphasises uniqueness of each individual
- case studies is the main way psychologists study human behaviour
- case studies involve studying one person in great detail, often spending a lot of time with them interviewing and observing them
- FREUD based his theory of personality development on several clinical cases.
- e.g. LITTLE HANS was used to develop his ideas of the OEDIPUS COMPLEX
- aim of LITTLE HANS study- to cure han's phobia of horses and to provide research support for oedipus complex.
- one STRENGTH of case studies is that it provides descriptive qualitative data- important t understand reasons behind a person's behaviour and draw conclusions about behaviour if we take the time to study it in detail.
- WEAKNESS- case studies relate to single instances- not generaliable to other people, therefore unrepresentative.
- ANOTHER WEAKNESS…