- Created by: nelliott
- Created on: 20-01-21 12:21
- Euthanasia is the deliberate killing of a person for the benefit of that person
- It is sometimes called 'Mercy Killing'
- Suidicide=When a person dies as a direct result of their own voluntary action but with the help of another person. This is different from voluntary euthanasia only insofar as the person may have many reasons for wanting to die. Their condition does not have to be life threatening.
- Asssisted suicide=When a person’s death is directly caused by another person (perhaps a doctor) at their request and with their consent. Most arguments today assume that the person requesting to die is suffering from an incurable or terminal illness and it is in great pain.
- Physician aided suicide=When a person’s death is hastened but not directly caused by the aid (e.g. medication) of a physician.
- Physician aid in dying=When a person dies as a direct result of their own voluntary action but with the help of a physician.
- Voluntary euthanasia=When a person dies as a direct result of their own voluntary action.
- Non-voluntary euthanasia=When a person’s life is ended without their consent but with the consent of someone representing their interests. For example, a doctor or the courts may decide that a person who is in a persistent vegetative state (PVS) should have their life-sustaining treatment removed.
- Passive euthanasia=When a physician withdraws life-sustaining treatment which indirectly causes death. Alternatively, the physician allows a patient to die by ‘letting nature take its…