Ethnicity and Achievement
1) Cultural Deprivation
Intellectual and Linguistic Skills
- Children from black families lack intellectual stimulation, leaving them poorly equipped for school.
- Bereiter and Englemann - language spoken by low-income black American families is inadequate for educational success.
Attitudes and Values
- Black children are socialised into fatalistic values that doesn't value education. This leaves them unequipped for success.
- Moynihan - black families are headed by lone mothers, meaning the boys lack an adequate male role model.
- Driver and Ballard - Asian families bring educational benefits as they have higher ambitions for their children's future.
- Lupton - Asian families teach respect, meaning that they will be supportive of school policies.
- Lupton - White Working Class parents have a negative attitude towards education and don't give their parental support.
2) Material Deprivation
- Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are the poorest fifth of the population.
- Ethnic minorities live in overcrowded conditions.
- African/Bangladeshis/Pakistanis are more likely to be in unemployment.
3) Racism in Wider Society
- Rex - Racial Discrimination leads to social exclusion and worsens poverty.
- Noon - sent identical pairs of applicant letters for 'Evans' and 'Patel' to the top 100 UK companies, and found that the companies were more encouraging towards the white…