Patterns and Trends
- Black, Pakistani and Bangladeshi students do worse, Indians and Chinese do best.
- White students are close the national average (though this may because there is such a high proportion of them)
- Among black students girls do better, but among chinese Asians girls do better.
- Working class black girls do better than working class white girls.
Out of School Factors
1. Cultural Factors and Attainment (LF)
- In some Asian households English is not the first language used. The PSI study found that the lack of fluency in English was a significant problem for some groups. Amongst men almost all of them spoke fluent English, however amongst women about a fifth of them did not.
- Gillborn and Mirza point out that the very high attainment rate of Indian pupils suggests that language is not a barrier to success.
b) Family Life
- Many writers suggest that the nature of family life affects levels of attainment among ethnic minorities.
- Driver and Ballard found that South Asian parents tend to have very high educational aspirations for their children, even if they have no education themselves.
- Gillborn and Mirza argue that research shows that African-Caribbean pupils receive greater encouragement to…