- Created by: Kirsten6765
- Created on: 26-11-19 19:32
The Era of Weak Presidents
the compromise of 1877 - Hayes elected on the condition of removing trooops from the west
THE TWEED RING - William Tweed, responsibile for over 100mil on fraud, infiltrated with tammy hall NY
SOUTHERN CORRUPTION - scalawags, carpetbaggers and criminlas, arrange contratcts and commit fraud.
PATRONAGE - pork barell politicsCARTELS AND TRUSTS - large compnays that join together to control key markets. Use their political capitol to influence polititcians.
RUTHEFORD HAYES 1877-81
- narrow victory, involved in the compromise of 1877
- limited to only one term, weakened his power
- led to the 'solid south' - Democrats kept control of the south.
- failed to end the spoils system, oppoosed by the stalwarts (republican group)
JAMES GARFIELD 1881-81
- was a dark horse in his election
- clashed with stalwart faction to reduce patronage
- appointed James Blaine (half-breed) as secretary of state
- assassinated in june 1881
- appointed James Garfield as his running mate ( a stalwart supporter) to bring unit
CHESTER A ARTHUR 1881-85
- was a NY republican, tied in to the tweed ring scandal - negative perception
- got congress to pass the pendleton civil service act - led to a 3 man comission that was going to appoint on merit jobs in the civil service - patronage power partially taken away from president.
- 'it would be hard indeed to better president Arthur's administation' - mark twain
GROVER CLEVELAND 1885-89
- first democrat president since 1868 - due to support from immigrants and southeners
- bourbon democrat - opposed high tariffs (maintain high tariffs for imported goods such as bourbon, whisky - whisky was heavily taxed and that money went straight to the federal govt. rather than the…