Explain both how and why attempts have been made to preserve the environment. Include reference to religious views in your answer.
For the ‘why’, students are likely to refer to a range of threats to the environment, such as: the threat from global warming and its effects on sea levels; loss of habitable land; pollution of seas and rivers from spillage, effluent, toxic waste, sewage, etc.; loss of trees from acid rain, made worse by deliberate clear-felling; loss of habitat for wildlife / loss of bio-diversity, etc.
Students might also refer to some of the following:
- religious teachings about protection/preservation of the environment / harm to God’s originally-perfect world / stewardship;
- general ethical ideas about the environment;
- the argument that, as the dominant species, humans have both a right and a responsibility to preserve the environment;
- utilitarian arguments about preserving the environment for future generations;
- concern about the extinction of species;
- aesthetic concerns.
For the ‘how’:
The range of possible…