The question on identifying presentational devices
The second question relates to the way the text looks. To get all the marks on this question you need to do two things:
- List the presentational devices the text uses.
- Explain why these devices are used and what effect they have.
To answer the first part of the question you need be able to recognise presentational devices such as:
- Headings (titles) and sub-headings
- Font size and style (bold, italic etc)
- Layout features (bullets, boxed text)
- Structure (short or long paragraphs)
- Quotations (things people said either in quotation marks or highlighted in the text)