The genre of the Tempest is Shakespearean romance, and was influenced by the then-new genre of tragicomedy.
All the action in the Tempest revolves around one plot; Prospero regaining his dukedom. It is also confined to one setting; an island on which all characters are stranded.
- Prospero; the previous Duke of Milan, a magician/sorcerer
- Miranda; Prospero's naive daughter
- Ariel; an airy spirit that Prospero rescued, who is now in Prospero's eternal debt.
- Caliban; a mishapen man, enslaved by Prospero, som of witch Sycorax
- Alonso; the King of Naples
- Sebastian; Alonso's brother
- Antonio; reigning Duke of Milan, Prospero's 'evil' brother
- Ferdinand; Alonso's son, Prince of Naples
- Gonzalo; a councellor who gave aid to Prospero and Miranda
- Adrian and Francisco; lords
- Trinculo; a court jester, likes to drink
- Stephano; a drunken butler, likes to drink
- Iris, Ceres and Juno; three spirits/goddesses
- Very strong-willed character, a commanding man
- Decieving, and likes to be in charge
- Confident but can be mistaken for arrogant and controlling
- When things don't go his way, he uses insults to make the person feel…