- Created by: Olivia Grace Matthews
- Created on: 01-06-16 15:08
- Causes of Language change can be the Structural Change ie. great vowel shift, Contact (historical factors) and Social factors
- eg. Me and be used to be pronounced 'bay' and 'may'. How did this change?
- There was a structural change in phonological system = chain shift. All long vowels moved up
- Highest vowels became diphthongs (two sounds into a single syllable)
- The great vowel shift is still not complete ie in the North-East.
- 'It' for example is pronounced with…