Energy Connections and Geopolitics - Energy Control and Disruptions
Energy pathways refers to the flow of energy from producer to consumer. the ESPO oil pipeline is an energy pathway to link Russia with, China and Japan. Many of these pathways cause problems.
- In 1991, Iraqi troops retreating from Kuwait at the end of the first Gulf War, set fire to ver 600 Kuwaiti oil wells. the fire burened for over 8 months and consumed about 6 million barrels of oil a day.
- In 2005, Hurricane Katrina affected oil production and refining in the Gulf of Mexico. Oil and Petrol prieces went up as a direct result. Ten days after the Hurricane, oil production was still only at 42% of its normal level.
- In 2005, the explosion and subsequent fire at the Buncefield Oil Storage Depot in Heartfordshire destroyed fuel worth £10million. It supplied 30% of Heathwors fuel. The Airport had to Ration its due and some long-hail flights had to make unschedualed stops to top up their tanks.
Gazprom - Russia.
Gazprom has rapidly become one of the worlds most powerful companies. Based in Moscow, it is the world's largest supply of gas.
- It controles about a third of the world's gas reserves.
- Accounts for 92% of Russias gas production.
- Provides 25% of EU natural gas, in 2007, it provided 4% of Britains gas supply.
- Over 80% of gas exports to western Europe .
- Is the sole gas supplies to Bosnier-Herzegovina, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldova nad Slovakia.
- Is the world's third largest corporation Its annual earnings…