What led them to explore??
- Developments in navigation and ship building were opening up exploration beyond EU
By the time E becomes Queen in 1558, Portugal and Spain have already established many colonies in the Americas. From the 1560's Eng Sailors begin to take interests in Global Exploration.
NEW TECHNOLOGY MEANT THESE VOYAGES OF EXPLORATION WERE POSSIBLE!!
- 1400's - relied on coastal features to navigate - made it impossible to cross oceans
- European soldiers begin to learn techniques as Port and Spain explore the oceans, they use the position of the stars or the sun & a "sea astrolobe."
- During E's reign, Eng sailors begin to learn this. In 1561 they have a spanish book on the Art Of Navigation traslated into English, giving them more detail on how to navigate using a sea astrolobe.
- 1570's - use log and line…