- Electrolysis is the break-up of a chemical compound using an electric current.
- Electrolytes are ionic so the charge moves though the solution by the ions moving
- Positive ions move towards the negative cathode
- Negative ions move towards the positive anode
- Ions reach the electrodes and are discharged; they turn into atoms or molecules.#
- The amount produces at each electrode increases with current and time
The Electrolysis of Copper:
In the purification of copper the electrolyte used is a solution of copper (II) sulphate and this is purified using copper electrodes.
The cathode used (The negative electrode) is a sheet…