- Huge numbers of African Americans fought in and faced racism in the army.
- Overseas they took on a range of wartime jobs-engineers, labourers, doctors etc.
In what ways was this significant?
- Increasing unity amongst Black Americans.
- Many black soldiers in Europe became aware that the racism they suffered in America was not everywhere.
- Having fought for freedom from the Nazi's abroad, they returned home and joined groups like NAACP (National Association for Advanced Coloured People) which grew to 450,000 members by 1945.
In what ways…