Forster Education Act (1870) (England & Wales):
- Children between 5 and 10 went to school.
- 3 R's - Reading, Writing, Arthematic.
- 10+ could work.
- 10+ could carry on with education if they could afford it.
- Rich = Good Education.
- Elementary Schools (Primary) - learnt through chants and poems.
Butlers Education Act (1944) (England & Wales):
- Introduced Tripartite System which provided free Secondary Education for everyone up to the age of 15.
- Selected and allocated pupils to a school based on ability by using the 11+ (an IQ test taken at 11)
- Three different schools:
- Grammar Schools - provided an academic curriculum for pupils who passed the 11+ (mainly Middle Class)
- Secondary Modern Schools - provided a practical curriculum for pupils who failed the 11+ (mainly Working Class)
- Technical Schools - (only in a few areas) provides a vocational education for pupils who failed 11+ (mainy Working Class)
- Reproduced Gender Inequality - girls were expected…