Earthquake hazard mitigation:
· Long-term forecasting and short term prediction
· Hazard zonation and associated land-use planning and building regulation
· Emergency response preparedness.
Earthquake forecasting and prediction is to provide people with a warning to enable them to prepare for an imminent earthquake.
· Long term forecasting has proved relatively straightforward in many tectonic environments, and is based on the premise that stress accumulates through plate movement at a relatively constant rate along many plate boundaries.
· Analysis of historical records of earthquake activity from tectonic zones allows seismologists to identify patterns in earthquakes occurrence, to link these rates of plate movement to calculate recurrence intervals for events of different magnitude, and to identify seismic gaps that appear overdue for…