- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 22-04-21 19:38
- Education fulfils positive functions for society:
- By promoting social solidarity.
- By teaching specialist skills.
Durkheim's Theory of Social Solidarity
- Social solidarity refers to the ties that bind people together in society.
- There are two forms of social solidarity:
- Pre-industrial era: mechanical solidarity.
- Modern era: organic solidarity.
- Education ensures that solidarity is not lost.
How does Education Achieve This?
- Passes on shared heritage -> history, literature, music -> students understand aspects of culture.
- Communal gatherings -> assemblies, prize giving -> promote values of community.
- Social cohesion -> enrichment, sports activities, house systems -> sense of unity.
- Michael Gove refers to Curriculum 2013 began with History.
- Introduction of the 'island story' of Britain; including history from the Magna Carta to the Internet.
- Compulsory teaching of British values:
- The rule of law.
- Individual liberty.