- Created by: joshlad
- Created on: 24-05-15 17:49
1. It happened between 27 May and the early hours of 4 June 1940. British troops became trapped between the English Channel and the advancing Germans.
2. The rescue mission was code-named Operation Dynamo by the British. It involved evacuating the troops by ship. Even fishing boats were used.
3. On the first day, only 7,000 men were evacuated
4. By the ninth day, a total of 338,226 soldiers had been rescued by the hastily assembled fleet of 850 boats
5. The fleet included the "little ships of Dunkirk", a flotilla of around 700 merchant marine boats, fishing boats, pleasure craft and…