- This consists of cooking food in a hot oven without fat or oil.
- It is used for cakes, pastries, bread, potatoes, biscuits, baked pasta/rice.
- The heat of the oven causes foods such as cakes, bread, scones etc. to rise and then set.
- It is important to pre-heat the oven so that the process of rising starts straight away, otherwise the mixture remains flat and heavy.
- Rising is caused by the liquid in the mixture which turns into steam and pushes the mixture up.
- In gas ovens, the top of the oven is usually the hottest and the…