- Created by: caitlingraceh
- Created on: 18-11-19 11:39
Dream Analysis - The Main Components
Dreams as wish fulfilment
- The idea that dreams are where your id gets to act out its demands and desires.
- Freud beleieved that all dreams were the unconscious fulfilment of wishes (known as primary-process thought) that could not be satisfied in the conscious as the ego would stp it.
- Dreams therefore protect the sleeper allowing us to express and live out some of these desires/wishes/fantasies.
- However, the repression of these true desires are seen to be a source of mental and behavioural disorders, and so the therapy aims to interpret dreams to uncover the true wishes they represent.
The Symbolic Nature of Dreams
- Objects or images in your dream represent unconscious emotions or desires and memories.
- Dream analysis works on the principle that what the dreamer recalls, the manifest content, is a symbolic representation of the truth/latent content buried in their unconscious.
- Latent content - the true wishes and desires
- Manifest content - how these desires are symbolised in the dream we remember.
- The process of changing the latent content into the manifest content is known as …