FIRST CAUSE/ COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT:
- everything that exists was caused to exist
- the universe exists, so it too must have a cause
- there had to be something that was not caused by anything
- the only eternal first cause is God
- there for God exists.
DESIGN ARGUMENT/ TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT:
- this states that the universe is too ordered and complicated to have come about by design. a design needs a designer, therefore the designer of the universe is God.
- argued that if we found a watch, we would know that there is evideence of design even if we did not know its function in the same way. in the same way if we looked at the world, we coudl tell that there is evidence of design. paley used the example of things like eyes for sight and wings for flight. he argued that things that are designed need a designer and he believed that the designer of the world is God.
- argued that thigns could only be kept in a regular order by an intelligent higher being. he said kthat the planets, sun, moon and…