The Design Argument
- telos - end or purpose
- a poteriori - from experience
- sythetic - from observation
- empirical - five senses
- inductive - many possible outcomes of which one is more probable
- Design is present in the univers which suggests design which infers a designer
- David Hunt's Parable of the Shipwreck
- order, benefit, purpose, and suitability for life
- "with such signs of forethought how can there be any doubt as to whether the univers is the product of chance or design"
- 5 ways - 5th way - 'from the governance of things'
- Design qua Regularity
- Arrow and the archer
- 'whatever lacks knowledge cannot move towards an end, unless it is directed by some being endowed with knowledge and intelligence... and this being we call God'
- Watch Analogy - Design qua Purpose
- 'when we come to inpect the watch we perceive... that its several parts are framed and put together for a purpose'
- Anthropic Principle - F.R.Tennant
- Goldilocks Effect of being 'just right'
- the univers is so 'finely-tuned'
- Weak Anthropic…