The fertility rate has risen since 2001 but it is much lower than 100 years ago (now approx 2 children).
Give 2 reasons why the total fertility rate in the UK has fallen since 1964.
- More women are remaining childless than in the past.
- Women are postponing having children.
Reasons for the decline in birth rate since 1900:
- Don't want children
- The pill
- Families unit of consumption
- Gender equalities e.g. the vote
- Socially acceptable
- Increased educational opportunities for girls
- Chaniging attitudes towards women's role
- Greater availability of divorce
Reasons for decline in infant mortality rate
- Better medical science
- No disease
- More policing of child abuse
- More babies being…