- Created by: Alaniese Poppy Breen
- Created on: 08-11-12 12:45
What is democracy?
In general, democracy refers to any society and/or political systen in which the people are able to make or influence decisions and where government is accountable to the people. More precise definitions would include:
- The word democracy came from the Greek words demos and kratis, broadly meaning 'rule by the people'
- Abraham Lincoln, the American president from 1861 to 1865, described democracy as 'government of the people, by the people, for the people'.
What is direct democracy?
The term effectively means two things:
1. The people themselves make important decisions rather than leaving…