- Created by: AleenaJoshy
- Created on: 23-05-16 11:54
Democracy and political participation
A definition of democracy
Democracy is when the government is of the people, by the people, for the people.
1. GOVERNMENT OF THE PEOPLE
- We expect the most that most citizens are able to participate in political activity. - Does not mean just standing for elected office or voting in elections, but being active in parties or pressure groups and being aware of political views be known.
- In modern democracies, many people remain politcally inactive, but the majority are active. But everyone has the opportunity to participate. Particaptory democracy.
- It is now claimed that if citizens cease to be active in politics, democracy will wither and die.
2. GOVERNEMENT BY THE PEOPLE
- State of affairs where the people themselves make the important decisions that affect them.
- Direct democracy, an arrangement that would entail constant use of referendums or direct consultaion processes.
- The government has to be intensly sensitive to public opinion - in practice this would be virtually direct democracy. All democratic governments consult the people, so this is a useful part of our definition.
3. GOVERNMENT FOR THE PEOPLE
- Whoever governs us does so in the broad interests of the people. They are not governing…