- Functionalism says that the individual is a product of society.
- Emile Durkheim society is made up of many different institutions.
- Each of these institutions have a particular function.
- Durkheim and his followers are known as functionalists.
- Functionalism is a structural theory.
- Some examples of institutions are the family, education and religion.
- Functionalists believe that the structures of society are set up to help society run as smoothly as possible.
- Durkheim believed that individuals internalise the norms and values of their culture, this means that they become part of their personality, identity and who they…