- Created by: teddyk00
- Created on: 19-09-19 14:59
- Cultural bias occurs when what is considered "normal" behaviour is judged only from the point of view of one culture.
- This means behaviours that differ from this cultural norm may be viewed as abnormal.
- In psychology, research tends to show a bias towards Western culture due to the number of researchers and studies conducted in certain societies.
Universality and cultural bias
- Much psychological research has been conducted in Western society, which undermines its universality
- Assuming research conducted in Western societies applies universally shows a cultural bias, as these results are only applicable to Western populations.
- This assumption of universality means research conclusions are wrongfully generalised globally.
- Ethnocentrism occurs when a researcher uses their own cultural group as a basis for judgements about other groups.
- There is a tendency to view the beliefs, customs and behaviours of our cultural group as normal, and that of other cultures…