New Labour and Crime
- New Labour was elected in 1997, one of it's slogans was "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime"
- New Labour politicians argue that since 1997, possible causes of crime such as povert, unemployment and poor housing have all been reduced, as has the overall crime rate
- Politicians from other parties disagree
Poilicies put into place under New Labour......
- Antisocial behaviour oders
- Behaviour is considered antisocial if it is likely to cause, or causes, harassment, alarm or distress
- ASBOs are civil orders
Criticisms of ASBOs
- It has been argued that they do not tackle the root causes of crime and are used to target the weakest and most vulnerable in society
- It has also been argued that they are ineefective as they are often breached
- Some teenagers see ASBOs as badges of honour that prove just how deivant they are
- There are few restrictions on what a court…
Similar Sociology resources: