- Created by: StudyHard101
- Created on: 04-12-16 15:54
Creation of FRG, 1945-49
- July 1945 -Potsdam Conference (USA, GB, FR, USSR) to plan German reconstruction.
- Germany split into 4 zone (one for each of the allies)
- Berlin was also divided into 4 zones.
- East and West zones didn't trust eachother - affected Germanys development.
- Potsdam Conference focused on disarming and demilitarising the country, decentralising it and de-nazifying it.
Setting Up Political Parties
- 11 June 1945 - KPD set up.
- KPD aims: German socialism NOT capitalism, land reform, new education system and democratic govt.
- 15 June - SPD formed.
- SPD Aims: Nationalisation of banks, social welfare systems.
- Centre Party failed to re-establish itself.
- CDU and CSU set up (church-based groups)
- Aims: Social support for the poor.
- Liberal Democratic Party
- 1947 - Liberal groups formed FDP
- 1949 - Faith based groups (except CSU) all joined CDU.
The Basic Law
- Announced 23 May 1949 by Parliamentary Council
- Promised: Equal rights to German citizens; Free speech, Freedom to form unions, Free assembly and No censorship; State education for all…