Craik and Tulving (1975)
Supporting study for the Level of Processing Model (Craik and Lockhart)
Aim - They wanted to see if the durability of a trace was affected by the depth of processing.
To see whether material that was more deeply processed would be recalled better.
- 24 participants
- repeated measures
- Lab experiment
- 60 words presented on a tachistoscope
- Asked one of three questions, that required a yes or no answer, about the word that required structural, phonetic or semantic processing e.g.
- Structural Q = "Is the word in capital letters or lower case?"
- Phonetic Q = "Does the word rhyme with......?"
- Semantic Q = "Does the word fit into this sentence.......?"
- Then given a list of 180 word in…