Substances with covalent bonds have either simple or giant structures.
SIMPLE MOLECULAR SUBSTANCES
- small molecules, very strong bonds
- weak forces of attraction between molecules
- weak intermolecular attraction because low boiling and melting points but this only breaks the attraction between molecules, not between atoms (covalent bonds)
- most are gases or liquids at room temp.
- dont conduct electricity - no ions, no electric current.
GIANT COVALENT STRUCTURES ARE MACROMOLECULES
- similar to giant ionic…