The cosmological argument is concerned with why there is something and not nothing.
The Beginning Argument
- We associate physical matter (i.e. the universe) with causality – what caused the universe?
- Something must have started it all off
- This must be a cause transcending the entire universe and this leads to the notion of God
- The universe could be infinite so there would have never been a beginning – does this make sense? Could we add more events onto infinite events in the past? [Modern cosmology]
- We can imagine a beginning of existence without a cause (two events distinct). Is this true? We can imagine nothing then X but we still associate causality. Imagine to reality?
- Does not show that the definite cause of the universe…