- His work 'The history of Ethics'
- Claimed Kant, Bentham and Kierkegaard have been found wanting ; hence leaving us in a state of moral anarchy
- As a result of this he advocated a returm to virtues
- Society no longer has moral truths and considers any opinion as good as another
- We make our decisions based on our emotions
- Emotivism is the Boo-Hooray theory, a person may say boo to racisim because it makes them feel sad, and hooray to tolerance because it makes them feel happy.
- There is no logical reason for their statements
Meaning and purpose:
- He wants us to return to a community based ethic, where we develop a morality that will benefit us all