- Created by: Lunarus
- Created on: 06-03-20 21:09
- The sum of all reactions in the body.
- Energy from respiration is used by enzymes that regulate metabolism.
- Includes conversion of glucose to starch, glycogen and cellulose as well as the formation of lipids from glycerol and fatty acids.
- Starch + carbohydrase (or amylase) -> sugar
- Proteins + protease -> amino acids
- Lipids + lipase -> fatty acids + glycerol
- Heart rate, breathing rate and breath volume increase to supply muscles with more oxygenated blood.
- During long periods of exercise muscles stop contracting efficiently.
- Insufficient oxygen leads to anaerobic respiration.
- The incomplete oxidation of glucose causes a build up of lactic acid and creates an oxygen debt.
- Blood travelling through the muscles transports lactic acid to the liver, where it is converted back to glucose.
- Oxygen debt is the amount of extra oxygen needed to react with the accumulated lactic acid to remove it from cells.
- Pathogens are microorganisms that cause infectious diseases, which are spread by water or air.
- Bacteria and viruses reproduce rapidly inside the body.
- Bacteria produce toxins that damages tissue.
- Viruses live and reproduce inside cells, which causes cells to burst.
~ Symptoms of fever and rashes.
~ Most are vaccinated against it.
~ Spread by inhalation of droplets from sneezes and colds.
~ Flu-like symptoms.
~ Leads to AIDs when the immune system becomes badly damaged and can no longer deal with other infections.
~ Spread by sexual contact or bodily fluids, such as blood through needles.
~ Can be controlled with antiretroviral drugs.
~ Symptoms of discolouration on leaves in a mosaic pattern.
~ Affects many species of plants, including tomatoes.
~ Controlled by isolating infected plants.
~ Symptoms of thick yellow…