- Created by: Tahalia
- Created on: 02-12-19 19:16
Influenced by developments in computer science and analogies are made between:
How a computer works
And how we process information.
Cognitive psychology is interested in how the brain inputs innformation, stores information and retrieves information.
KEY FACTS AO1:
- Information that we recieve from our senses is processed by the brain, directing how we behave.
- We can infer how a person thinks by the way that they act.
- SCHEMA: Cognitive framework that helps us to organise and interpret information based of previous experiences.
Helps us to interpret info quickly and effectively to stop us from feeling overwhelmedby the information that we recieve from our environment.
HOWEVER IT CAN LEAD TO DISTORTION OF INFORMATION BECAUSE WE MAY CHOOSE STIMULI FROM THE ENVIRONMENT THAT IS NOT RELLEVAN TO THE SITUATION. I.E WHEN GIVING AN EYEWITNESS TESTIMONY IN THE COURT.
- HELPS to find out how the structures in our brain influence the way we interpret information, mapping mental cognitive functions to certain areas of the brain.
- This can be done using fMRI and PET scans.
- BRAIN MAPPING: Braver et al (1997) found out that when ptients were doing activites involving the central executive, the activity in the prefrontal cortex was greater, so when it comes to central executives, it is situated in the prefrontal cortex.
RESEARCH METHODS AO1
- CASE STUDIES
Used to study rare conditions which provide insight on the working of…