Co-operation in Spoken Discourse- Grice's Maxims
- Recognise that speakers co-operate in conversation
- Recognise how speakers follow Grice's Maxims in conversation to maintain co-operation
- Paul Grice, a linguist stated that speakers adhere to four maxims (rule) in order to maintain co-operation in conversation.
- When speakers adhere to Grice's Maxims they are being co-operative.
- Observing Grice's Maxims is the way to show politeness in conversation
- The maxims are often broken leading to implied meanings
- Quantity- Do not say too little or too much for example…